The first-round matches are set as the men’s and women’s singles draws for Roland-Garros were announced on Thursday. Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz are all on the same side of the table. If things go as planned, top seed and defending champion Djokovic could face Nadal in the quarter-finals. It would be a good opportunity for Nadal – 13 times French Open champion – to make Djokovic pay for beating him in the semi-finals last year.
Whoever advances could face Carlos Alcaraz in the next round, that is if he can deal with Alexander Zverev in his own quarter-final match.in consecutive matches and won the Madrid Open earlier in May.
On the women’s side, world No. 1 Iga Swiatek will enter the competition on a 28-game winning streak and the No. 1 seed and her path to a second French Open title has become a little clearer after the fall of some big names in the first round. including defending champion Barbora Krejcikova (2), Anett Kontaveit (5), Ons Jabeur (6), Garbine Muguruza (10) and unseeded Naomi Osaka who returned to Roland Garros after.
Serena Williams will not play at Roland Garros for the first time since 2017. She hasn’t played since last June, when she suffered an ankle injury at Wimbledon.
Here’s everything you need to know about the French Open 2022:
- Second round, May 25-26
- Third round, 27-28 May
- Fourth round, May 29-30
- Quarter-finals, 31 May – 1 June
- Women’s semi-finals, June 2
- Men’s semi-finals, June 3
- Women’s final, June 4
- Men’s Final, June 5
Notable matches in the men’s second round on Wednesday
- No. 9 Felix Auger Aliassame defeated. Camilo Ugo Carabelli (6-0, 6-3, 6-4)
- No. 10 Cameron Norrie defeats. Jason Kubler (6-3, 6-4, 6-3)
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles defeated. No. 13 Taylor Fritz (3-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-3)
- #3 Alexander Zverev defeats. Sebastien Baez (2-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 7-5)
- No. 1 Novak Djokovic defeats. Alex Molcan (6-2, 6-3, 7-6)
- No. 15 Diego Schwartzman vs. Jaume Munar, 8:15 a.m.
- No. 6 Carlos Alcaraz Garfia vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas, 8:15 a.m.
- No. 18 Grigor Dimitrov vs. Borna Coric, 9:30 a.m.
- No. 5 Rafael Nadal against Corentin Moutet, 2:45 p.m.
Notable matches in the women’s second round on Wednesday
- Aliaksandra Sasnovich defeated. #12 Emma Raducanu (3-6, 6-1, 6-1)
- No. 15 Victoria Azarenka defeats. Andrea Petkovic (6-1, 7-6)
- Karolina Muchova defeated. No. 4 Maria Sakkari (7-6, 7-6)
- No. 18 Coco Gauff beats. Alison Van Uytvanck (6-1, 7-6)
- No. 17 Leylah Annie Fernandez defeats. Katerina Siniakova (6-3, 6-2)
- No. 14 Belinda Bencic vs. Bianca Andreescu, 9:15 a.m.