Not all streamers want to be in the limelight
public. In fact, for many gamers, the only audience that matters is their friends.
This is where Discord comes in. Although
is primarily known for its text and voice chats, you can also use Discord’s voice channels to host live broadcasts.
These live broadcasts allow you to broadcast your voice, webcam, or computer screen to anyone else in the voice channel. It’s a great way to host a small feed for your friends, without worrying about strangers coming in.
The only caveats are that
your screen can only be done from Windows and Mac desktop apps, not mobile or browser versions. And if you want to stream audio that is playing on your computer, like the sound of a game or a YouTube video, for example, you will need to use the desktop version of Windows.
Finally, you should also note that multiple people can broadcast simultaneously on the same voice channel. So if you are on a popular server, don’t be surprised if others start a stream while you are still there.
Here’s how to start your next broadcast using Discord.
How to stream on Discord
First of all, note that if you are using a Mac, you may need to enter the “Security & Privacy” menu in order to allow Discord to record your screen.
Emma Witman / Business Insider
1. Open the Discord app on your Mac, PC, or smartphone. Keep in mind that you will need to use the downloaded and installed app, not the Discord website.
2. Find and join a voice channel on which you are authorized to broadcast. To find out if you can stream, you need to join the voice channel and then check if “Video” or “Screen” are clickable at the bottom of the window. If you’re using the Discord mobile app, you’ll just see an icon that looks like a video camera.
3. At the bottom of the desktop app, you will see options for “Video” and “Screen”. Choose whether you want to stream video from your webcam or share your computer screen, then click the one you want.
If you are using the mobile app, you can only tap the camera icon, which will start streaming from your phone’s camera.
4. If you click “Video” your webcam will turn on (Discord may ask for permission to use it) and you will start streaming immediately. You can choose the appropriate camera from the “Voice & Video” settings menu in Discord.
5. If you select “Screen”, choose the window you want to share. You can stream everything to your screen at once, or just specific windows.
6. Choose a resolution and frame rate: the better your resolution and frame rate, the more internet bandwidth your stream will use.
7. If you are streaming from a PC, you will also see an option for “Sound”. Toggle this button to the right and you will be able to stream audio from your computer as well. People will still be able to hear your microphone as well.
8. When you are ready to start broadcasting your screen, click “Go Live”.
You are ready ! All you have to do is invite friends to the voice channel, who can then watch your stream by clicking on your name in the list of people on the call.