The Stream Deck is a versatile tool used in many applications, from live production, to streaming and post-production.
It is a fully customizable interface that consists of LCD keys that can be mapped and programmed for a wide range of functions. The current Stream Deck has 15 buttons and the Mini has six. Many users wanted an even larger version and now Elgato has shipped with the Stream Deck XL.
32 customizable LCD keys
The Stream Deck XL has an 8 x 4 LCD key grid. Each key can be configured with static or dynamic icons, providing instant visual feedback with a touch button.
Using the Stream Deck app, you can assign each key as you like. Keys can also be set to host folders to house even more actions. It’s basically like the home screen of your smartphone. You can even create your own icons with Key Creator.
Parameters by application
The Stream Deck also has the ability to map buttons to specific applications. This means that you can use all the buttons for each application, automatically switching the presets for each program.
Macros can also be recorded on keys, triggering a sequence of actions simultaneously or delayed in intervals.
The physical unit is quite simple, following the same styling as the previous models. To connect to a computer, it has a USB Type-C connection. The Stream Deck XL also includes a magnetic stand to support the panel. Without the stand, it still features a slanted design for ergonomics.
To add even more versatility and power to the Stream Deck, you can use Bitfocus’ free and open source Companion app, which supports mixers, video playback software and streaming equipment.
- Button Designer – Either with color text or with your own images
- Feedback – Devices can give feedback to buttons to display status
- Stacked Actions – Perform multiple actions from the same button
- Delayed Actions – Set the delay time individually for each action
- Multi-device – Have several broadcast decks connected at the same time
- Web administrator – Configure the system from any browser on the network
- Web Buttons – Virtual Web Buttons for Mobile / Tablet / Browser
- Lock – Separate actions for down and up key, and ability to lock / toggle
- Streamdeck plugin – Use companion buttons in the native stream platform app
There are too many to list here, but some of the supported apps include Blackmagic ATEM devices, countdown timer, GrandMA2 light panels, MagicQ, ProPresenter, Behringer X32, and more. Visit the Companion website for the full list.
You will only have to wait for the release of Companion 2.0 shortly, which will support the Stream Deck XL. There is an active companion user group for further feedback.
Pricing and availability
The Stream Deck XL will retail for $ 249.95.
The smaller Stream Deck costs $ 149.95 and the Stream Deck Mini costs US $ 89.95.