Twitter and the National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL) have announced a partnership to broadcast live games for the second consecutive season.
The “NWHL Twitter Game of the Week” will include 16 regular season games, the 2019 NWHL All-Star Game and the Isobel Cup playoffs. Games are produced by the NWHL and streams are exclusive to Twitter in live windows.
The global live stream will be available for free to logged in and logged out users on Twitter and connected devices. Fans will be able to access the live stream via @NWHL.
“We are thrilled to have live NWHL games back this season on Twitter,” said TJ Adeshola, head of US sports partnerships at Twitter. “Passionate hockey fans around the world will continue to be able to see exciting live game action as well as the robust conversation all in one place on Twitter.”
As part of the agreement, Twitter and the NWHL will collaborate on marketing and promoting the league and broadcasts. The live stream on Twitter will also include advertising packages with TV-style commercials.
“Twitter has been an invaluable partner to us, and we’re thrilled to present Twitter Game of the Week for our second season,” said the NWHL Founder and Commissioner. Dani Ryan. “Twitter has helped boost the NWHL’s viewership tremendously and given our professional women’s hockey players a deserving global spotlight.”
The 2018 Isobel Cup Final between the Riveters and Buffalo generated a Twitter following of over 900,000. The NWHL All-Star Game in February drew 580,000 viewers.
NWHL Twitter Broadcast Schedule 2018-19 (all times ET)
- October 6, 5:00 a.m. Metropolitan Minnesota
- Oct. 13, 1:30 a.m. Connecticut at Buffalo
- Oct. 20, 2:00 a.m. Minnesota at the Metropolitan (Prudential Center)
- Oct. 27, 7:30 a.m. Buffalo, Minnesota
- Nov. 18, 2:00 a.m. Connecticut at the Metropolitan
- Nov. 25, 2:00 a.m. Connecticut at the Metropolitan
- Dec. 1, 7:30 a.m. Boston at Minnesota
- Dec. 9, 2:00 a.m. Boston at the Metropolitan
- December 29, 2:00 Minnesota at Buffalo (Key Bank Arena)
- Jan. 5, 1:30 a.m. Boston at Buffalo
- Jan. 12, 1:30 a.m. Metropolitan at Buffalo
- Jan. 19, 7:30 a.m. Connecticut at Minnesota
- Jan. 26, 1:30 a.m. Boston at Buffalo
- Feb. 2, 2:00 a.m. Buffalo at the Metropolitan
- February 9-10 NWHL All-Star Weekend (times and location TBD)
- February 24, 3:00 a.m. Boston at Connecticut
- March 3, 3:00 p.m. Buffalo at the Metropolitan
- March 9-17 Isobel Cup Qualifiers (times and locations to be determined)